Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Less-Effort Beauty



In addition to a few suicidal thoughts, blow drying my hair in our pea-sized bathroom during this unseasonably warm weather has inspired me to do something new with my hair.

The something new I am ready to do is nothing.

It is not just the hellish bathroom inferno, hair has been on my mind since last month's visit to New York City. Through my recent trips out of the Midwest, and browsing street style blogs from around the world, I realize, that here in Indiana, we try really hard when it comes to our hair.

In addition to drastic dye jobs on both ends of the spectrum, it is commonplace to spot highlights in streak or chunk form. We meticulously straighten, use smoothing serums, and fortify with hairspray. It is a lot of work, and too often, this shows.

I am guilty of all of this too. Until a few years ago, I no longer knew what my actual hair color was. At some point, it has been every shade, from platinum to black, and most colors of rainbow. Despite choosing more natural colors for some time now, I still spend a lot of time attempting to tame my thick, wavy hair.

Not ready for my grays to show just yet, I will continue to color my hair, but I am ready to give blow drying and straightening a rest. I am tired of working against it, trying to make it something it is not. If a woman can confidently rock a less than perfectly styled mane in Paris or New York, I am declaring this bit of less-effort beauty good enough for me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment